When your friends ask you to meet them for a relaxing weekend getaway on a beautiful island you say “Yes!” There was really no hesitation for us since traveling with friends is fun and cheap(er) than traveling by yourself! Plus, this destination was a simple road trip away (read: no plane ticket to purchase!). So, we packed our bags (mine a rolling suitcase and Mike’s a duffel bag) and drove the 2.5 hours to Marco Island, Florida.
Marco Island is a (very) quiet island at the Southwest corner of Florida. It is near the Everglades and the city of Naples. It has world-class resorts, spas, golf courses and fishing. But, for this trip, all we did was enjoy the beaches, the restaurants and our friends!
We stayed at the Hilton Resort and Spa. The room had two queen beds, a small couch and a million dollar view!
Of course you one does not stay at the Marco Island Hilton Resort and Spa for the room. Although clean and comfortable, the outside activities are the highlight of the property. The pool has plenty of seating, towel service and dining/bar area.
There is more fun out on the beach with catamaran sail boat, kayak, stand-up paddle board and wave runner rentals.
If these water activities are not for you there is plenty of space on the wide beach to rest and relax. The sand is powdery white and perfect to lay your towel on! However, lounge chairs are complimentary to hotel guests. Umbrellas are $18.00 per hour for unlimited use each day. (*Hint: the rental price drops to $11 per hour after 1 pm.)
One event that is sure to be the highlight of your stay is watching a sunset over the water. Guests are drawn out to the water’s edge on a nightly basis for this spectacle – and for good reason!
We spent most of our time out on the beach – drinking fruity beverages, telling funny stories, walking the beach to find shells and swimming. When not on the beach we were eating. (Tough life, huh!?) Here are the names and our opinions of the establishments we visited.
- Empire Bagel Factory – Their coffee isn’t great, but their bagels, cream cheese and muffins are! The service and prices are just right too!
- Paradise Cafe at the Marco Island Hilton – The food is average, with above average prices. The staff is helpful and pleasant.
- Beach Club Bar and Grille at the Marco Island Hilton – Once again, the food is average – but the added perk of ordering and eating without leaving your beach chair makes up for this! The service is consistently quick and courteous!
- Sunset Grille– Even though eating dinner while watching the sunset is nice, I would not recommend doing so here. The wait staff does a great job, but the food is just not good. Period. It’s “bar food,” but bad bar food. I hate to write negative reviews, but honesty is our policy at WWB. We were very disappointed with our meals.
- DaVinci’s Italian – Italian food after a day in the sun might not sound great, but it was just what we wanted. The homemade pasta and gnocchi were exquisite and the Chicken Parmesan could be cut with a fork! There is a great wine selection and a very friendly wait staff.
- Beebe’s Ice Cream – We went both nights – enough said!
We anticipate another trip to Marco Island soon to kayak 10,000 Islands, play a round of golf or to just soak up the Florida sun a little more!!