Touring Mayan ruins and cave tubing and zip lining are enough to keep most visitors busy in Belize. Many never make it to the islands, but I urge you to leave the mainland and experience the islands and the Caribbean Ocean. Ambergris Caye (pronounced “Am-ber-grease Key”) is one of those islands you should visit. Once there, you’ll quickly realize why it is a favorite of ours. There are a ton of activities on Ambergris Caye to keep you busy and entertained.
We loved our four days on the island and this post will tell and show you why!
1. Hol Chan Marine Reserve – Just off the coast of Ambergris Caye is the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. This reserve is home to colorful fish and beautiful coral reefs. Whether you dive or snorkel, you will be sure to feel like you are swimming in an aquarium.
2. Bike Rentals to Explore Ambergris Caye – Many people rent golf carts, but we chose bikes. Not only are they cheaper, they are better for the environment and our bodies. From San Pedro you can ride north and south for hours and have views of the ocean or local neighborhoods.
3. Make Your Mark at “Palapas” – Palapas means “thatched roof” and that is just what this establishment is: an outdoor bar and grill built at the end of a dock with a thatched roof. It is my definition of paradise. I am not one to promote restaurants on the blog, but this one is worth it – for its atmosphere, very friendly staff and views of the ocean. We only had drinks so the food might be lousy for all we know. That being said, I would still urge you to go while on Ambergris Caye. You can also sign your name on the rafters – always a fun bonus!
4. Walk around San Pedro – You never know what you’ll find on Ambergris Caye! That is how it happened for us. We just began walking after breakfast and stumbled upon children with talking parakeets, a fisherman cleaning his catch and a cemetery steps from the ocean’s edge. It is nice to “get lost” in a new place sometimes!
5. Swim in the Caribbean Ocean – Snorkeling and diving in Belize are pretty obvious choices. But what about just a fun dip in the ocean? Even better when local kids join you for a fun game of “water tag.” The water is warm, calm and clear on most days, so take advantage of it all and take a swim at any of the white sand beaches on Ambergris Caye.